Wednesday, January 25, 2006

last nite; marx and an apartment fire.

MARX was real cool last night, it wasn't terribly crowded but there were some interesting people in attendance. I'm getting really bored with garage music; I think I have exhausted the p2p networks for spin worthy 2step. I have a friend who has a large collection; I'm hitting him up sometime this week to rummage through his hard drive for some new material. My mixing last night was horrible, really awful; I stumbled through nearly every transition and made several really stupid mistakes with the mixer. Seriously, learning on the job like this is not fun in the least, entirely nerve racking and not recommended. On the other hand I couldn't ask for a better environment, as no one there seems to notice or care, so it's kind of like my little lab. Nobody who said they were coming actually showed up last night!

On my way to the place last night, while trudging up 16th street I started to hear fire engines and police sirens in the distance, as I walked past the Woodner apartment building (the city’s largest apartment complex) there was smoke visible coming from one of the top floors, the lobby appeared to be smoky and there was a large crowd outside. I walked past the front of the building as the first couple of pump trucks arrived and fire fighters ran into the building. I really need to start carrying a camera with me. Looking for news items about the fire this morning I came across a DC Fire and EMS webpage with details of the blaze; can’t find any dc news outlets running anything about it. Looks like it was quickly contained and no one was seriously hurt. Good work DCFD!

No comments: