Wednesday, July 13, 2005

So i got hit by a car

Out skating on Sunday night I went to cross the street on my skateboard while riding down a decent hill. I checked the traffic coming from the road behind me and saw that it was clear, so I ollied off the curb and made for the sidewalk on the other side of the road. Unfortunately this particular intersection accepts incoming traffic from an adjoining cross-street, Arkansas Ave. I got enough of a glimpse of the oncoming car to brace for impact and kind of get my legs out of the way of the cars bumper, the force of the impact sent me hurtling onto the cars hood with incredible force, I estimate the cars speed at least was 15-20mph. I jumped back up, surprisingly I didn't loose my glasses during all of this, my board went sailing across the road. Immediately I knew something was wrong with my left shoulder, cause it wouldn't move and was generating intense pain. It was dislocated, out of it's socket, omg it hurt. I hadn't ever dislocated a shoulder before so this was a new experience for me. Luckily a bystander knew how to put it back into its place and as soon as it fit back together the pain went away, I was like, "hey that did it, ALL BETTER". I retrieved my skateboard and told the VERY FREAKED OUT driver of the Honda Accord that struck me that I was ok and didn't need an ambulance. He didn't get out of his car but he didn't leave the scene either, I think he was afraid of being sued or something, or that a cop would show up. Now it's Wednesday and my bruises are starting to change color and I'm almost out of Aleve. I'll be back on my board next week!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you alright?

Mattb79 said...

yeah, for the most part just beat up. I'm going to go get some x-rays today, see if anything is amiss in my shoulder. and my left knee is tough to walk on right now. ehh.. pain is temporary and i have been through worse.

Anonymous said...

oh? 'worse'?

Mattb79 said...

oh sure, I have sustained a broken leg requiring surgery, multiple wrist fractures, concussions, nasty ankle sprains, etc.. Since I will continue to risk my neck riding around town on a skateboard it's something I have learned to deal with. getting hit by the car was pretty frightening however, I think back to the moment when it actually struck me and it kind of replays in slow motion, yikes!